Adding host not on same subdomain

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Oct 4 20:41:36 UTC 1999

> Is it possible to add a domain, which I do not host, to my domain?
>
> I have setup a DNS for my internal network (i.e.: maysys.com) using the
> TCP/IP addressees 192.160.0.x.  I would now like to be able to access my
> website (i.e.: www.maysys.com) from my DNS.  However, I do not host my
> website, and thus my website address (i.e.: www.maysys.com hosted a
> 216.156.126.218) is unavailable.  Someone here suggested I use a subdomain.
>
> How can I gain access to my website, from within my domain???
>
> Yves Leclerc

I do not believe that that is the purpose for which a subdomain was
suggested.  The reason it was suggested, which you do NOT mention, is
that you have a separate "maysys.com" name server outside your private
network.

Why do you say that your Web site address is "unavailable"?  Are you
unable to reach that address from within your private network?  Why
don't you try putting

www		IN  A	216.156.126.218

in your internal "maysys.com" zone file, and see what happens?  If that
is the ONLY "maysys.com" host name outside your network, this should
suffice.  You'll just have to document and remember and remember to
document that you are getting the name-address translation from a
different place from the rest of the world.

If you have many "maysys.com" host names outside your network then, as
several suggested, you should make the internal name server the server
for, e.g., "int.maysys.com", and have the internal names based on that.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B