Named Stop Response Periodically

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Oct 5 02:18:20 UTC 1999

> Could anyone tell me what's wrong with the name server?
>
> I'm using a RedHat Linux box to run bind 8.1.2 and there are thousands of
> zones in my name server. I found that every about 6 minutes, the name server
> will stop response for 1-2 minutes. During the freezing period, the named
> didn't process any name query and I can't start nslookup at local machine.
> After 1-2 minutes, everything is normal.
>
> This kind of periodical stopping response of named has last quite a long
> time. What's wrong with my named?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> G Liu

	Apply the following patch.  This is intergated into BIND 8.2.2
	which is in BETA test.

	Mark

*** src/bin/named/ns_main.c.orig	Wed Apr 29 05:17:46 1998
--- src/bin/named/ns_main.c	Tue Oct  5 12:12:04 1999
***************
*** 1655,1661 ****
   */
  int
  sq_openw(struct qstream *qs, int buflen) {
! #ifdef SO_LINGER	/* XXX */
  	static const struct linger ll = { 1, 120 };
  #endif

--- 1655,1661 ----
   */
  int
  sq_openw(struct qstream *qs, int buflen) {
! #ifdef DO_SO_LINGER	/* XXX */
  	static const struct linger ll = { 1, 120 };
  #endif

***************
*** 1666,1672 ****
  	qs->s_wbuf_send = qs->s_wbuf;
  	qs->s_wbuf_free = qs->s_wbuf;
  	qs->s_wbuf_end = qs->s_wbuf + buflen;
! #ifdef SO_LINGER	/* XXX */
  	/* kernels that map pages for IO end up failing if the pipe is full
  	 * at exit and we take away the final buffer.  this is really a kernel
  	 * bug but it's harmless on systems that are not broken, so...
--- 1666,1672 ----
  	qs->s_wbuf_send = qs->s_wbuf;
  	qs->s_wbuf_free = qs->s_wbuf;
  	qs->s_wbuf_end = qs->s_wbuf + buflen;