Advice needed please

Bradley Tate btate at objectmastery.com
Thu Oct 7 15:11:56 UTC 1999

Hi,

We're setting up a UK office which will have a few internet connected
web servers and, for a while, not much local technical support
available. The web servers will be accessed almost exclusively by
UK users.
What I'm thinking of doing is running the primary DNS here in Australia
where I can quickly fix problems if the hardware dies, and having
secondaries at our UK ISP site and in our UK office.
As the link between Oz and the UK is often incredibly slow I really
don't want the primary to be used as the first port of call in resolving
queries.

My question is whether there is anything philosophically or practically
wrong with having only the secondaries registered with the the
UK internic equivalent? Also, am I correct in thinking that the DNS
server registered as "Primary" with internic or whatever would always be
queried first before a secondary was tried or am I just confused?

Thanks in anticipation,

Bradley Tate
ObjectMastery