problem, is it bind related?

S0LARlSTEK at aol.com S0LARlSTEK at aol.com
Thu Oct 7 21:18:48 UTC 1999

I have checked into the possibility that I have more than one server with the
same IP address and that is not happening.  Although the ULTRA 2 that is
doing this instead of just typing in the ifconfig command to add ip addresses
to it it has 2 scripts that together write the ifconfig command to the hme:
interfaces.  Could this be a possibility.

Greg

> I have 4 physical servers on line.  3 of them are pentium boxes running
> solaris 7.  The other is an ULTRA 2 which has solaris 2.6 bind 4.9.X
although
> it is not being used as a nameserver.  The 2 name servers have solaris 7
and
> bind 8.1.2.  When I ping any of these pentium boxes from a DOS or UNIX
> machine the ping looks good.  If I ping the ULTRA 2 from DOS it looks good.

> If I ping it from another UNIX box I get a message that says DUP!.  If you
> ping 216.32.58.8 you will see the problem.
>
> Does anyone have a fix for this type of problem or know someone who does.

Yea, you've got two boxes on the same wire with the same IP address....

Look at the ARP caches on the various boxes and you can figure out who
is misconfigured...

--- Cris