More on advisory question

Dave Wreski dave at nic.com
Fri Oct 8 18:23:42 UTC 1999

I have another couple of questions on that recent advisory.

It states I can control access to bind version numbers to only authorized
users by using:

zone "bind" chaos {
	type master;
	file "primary/bind";
	allow-query {
		trusted;
	};
	allow-transfer {
		none;
	}
};

After adding that, and the primary/bind file, the following messages are
printed:

Oct  8 11:10:33 juggernaut named[889]: /etc/named.conf:21: unknown ACL
'trusted'
Oct  8 11:10:33 juggernaut named[889]: Zone "bind" (file primary/bind): No
default TTL set using SOA minimum instead

Why is the ACL 'trusted' not known?

Also, it states that 'unapproved query from ...' messages can be sent to a
seperate file using another syslog facility.  What is the facility that it
uses?

Actually, how do I prevent unauthorized queries?  I'd like to prevent
someone from doing:

# nslookup www.netscape.com ns.mydomain.com

for example...

Thanks,