Force constant zone transfer: Bind V4 and V8

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Oct 8 21:23:04 UTC 1999

> We have a SunOS 5.5 box (#1) and Solaris 2.6 Sparc box (#2). Bind V4 on
> #1 and V8 on #2.
>
> The problem: #2 is main NS for a zone that's dynamically updated
> constantly. But #1 seems
> to do zone transfer from #2 only once an hour.
>
> Is there a way to force zone transfer? I'm also considering just
> installing V8 on #1. But since
> it's a machine in production (tons of sites on it)....

But installing V8 on #1 is the way to do it.  Don't you ever have to do
maintenance on #1?  #2 can handle the load for the few seconds it takes
to halt the old 'named' and start the new one.  (named-bootconf will
change most named.boot files to usable named.conf files.)

> And a question is: When I do a query on the newly updated DN ( only
> availble on #2 at that
> moment), using some wild NS(#A), it would go to query #2, or #1. It's
> like randomly done. Isn't
> #A supposed to go ask #2 (primary NS) first, and then try #1(secondary
> NS)?

No.  To clients, there is no such thing as primary and secondary.
There are just "all those crazy name servers out there", and they go to
whichever one they choose.

Consider, which is correct:
@		IN  NS	PRIMARY		ns1
@		IN  NS	SECONDARY	ns2