RP TXT problem

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sun Oct 10 05:11:39 UTC 1999

> I'm getting the following nslint error. What does it mean by "garbage"?

Stuff that shouldn't be there.

> Entered:
> maffetore.com.  IN  RP jason.familyeducation.com. TXT "Jason Maffetore,
> NIC Handle (JM42315)"
>
> Error:
> nslint: .//tmp/maffetore.com.939492967:11 "rp" garbage after text name:
> jason.familyeducation.com. TXT "Jason Maffetore, NIC Handle
> (JM42315)"

RP records take two fields after the RP:  an email address, like the one
you used (jason.familyeduction.com) and a domain name that points to
a TXT record.  You specified "TXT" as the second field, and then added
as a third field a bunch of quoted cruft that nslint doesn't like much.

The two records:

maffetore.com.  IN  RP jason.familyeducation.com. jason.maffetore.com.
jason.maffetore.com.  IN  TXT "Jason Maffetore,  NIC Handle (JM42315)"

will do what you want.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.