Help

Elsie Simonton elsiels at srttel.com
Thu Oct 7 13:13:58 UTC 1999

Excuse me but I am learning and would like to know:  I am using bind 8 with the 3rd edition Bind book.  What is the named.hosts file for?  As I can't find a reference to it.

>>> "Douglas, Earl S." <edouglas at kpmg.ca> 10/06 11:07 PM >>>
You need to setup a reverse zone for 192.168.6.250 in your 'named.conf'
file, that has a pointer record for that nameserver(I am assuming that this
is the ip address of the name sever you are configuring - 192.168.6.250).

In your named.conf file you need to add

zone "6.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "db.192.168.6";
};

And your 'db.192.168.6' file should at least have a pointer record for your
name server
;

@       IN  SOA dns1.mydomain.com user.synnex.com. (
                        1999050400 ;Serial (date YYYYMMDDnn n=change counter
                        10800   ; Refresh after 3 hours
                        3600    ; Retry after 1 hour
                        604800  ; Expire after 1 week
                        86400 ) ; Minimum TTL of 1 day

	IN NS	dns1.mydomain.com.
250   IN  PTR dns1.mydomain.com

;EOF
======
Your 'named.hosts file should at least have the following

@       IN  SOA dns1.mydomain.com. user.synnex.com.(
                        1999100403 ;Serial (date YYYYMMDDnn n=change counter
                        10800   ; Refresh after 3 hours
                        3600    ; Retry after 1 hour
                        604800  ; Expire after 1 week
                        86400 ) ; Minimum TTL of 1 day