Bind and Multiple VirtualHosts with Apache on 1 Static IP

Ken Purcell kenpurcell at directlink.net
Sun Oct 10 20:24:35 UTC 1999

Hi all,

Please don't shoot me I'm trying to learn how to do this.  I've ordered "DNS
and BIND", by O'Reilly & Associates but I'm itching to get started.

Here is my setup:

ADSL with 1 Static IP 216.2.128.35.  Right now I'm hosting a hobby website
www.pyrofx.com
which works fine and a website for my mom's company
www.fabricationsgifts.com which isn't.
My ISP is doing DNS for me for the first domain for free but charge $100 for
additional domains.
I found a cheaper DNS service for the second domain from www.dyndns.com.
I've setup up
a DNS record with them pointing to the same 216.2.128.35 IP too.  The
trouble I'm having is the second
domain is serving up the same content as the first.  I thought that Apache
received a message as
to which server is being requested.  I pulled this from the apache help file
"The HTTP/1.1 protocol
contains a method for the server to identify what name it is being addressed
as."  How do I set this up?
The VirtualHost portion of my apache server file below:

NameVirtualHost 216.2.128.35
<VirtualHost 216.2.128.35>
    ServerAdmin kenpurcell at directlink.net
    DocumentRoot "d:/Apache/htdocs/www/pyrofx"
    ServerName www.pyrofx.com
    ErrorLog logs/pyrofx-error.log
    CustomLog logs/pyrofx-access.log combined
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost 216.2.128.35>
    ServerAdmin kenpurcell at directlink.net
    DocumentRoot "d:/Apache/htdocs/www/fabrications"
    ServerName www.fabricationsgifts.com
    ErrorLog logs/fabrications-error.log
    CustomLog logs/fabrications-access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

Does the requesting browser get a URL that is passed through DNS to the
webserver to determine what
pages to serve up?  Do I need to have one DNS record with aliases for each
domain?  I would at some time
like to setup Bind to do my own DNS but first things first.  I obviously
need to walk before running. Please Help.

regards,

Ken Purcell