A plea to PSI and other clueless DNS Admins

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Oct 11 01:48:54 UTC 1999

> I understand underscore in domain names is not RFC compliant.  Is there any
> particular reason why it is not allowed?  It is allowed in SRV records etc. a
> you stated.  Just curious.

	A number of reasons.

	1. Conversion between characters sets.  Not all platforms
	   use ASCII internally, this is still true today, and you
	   needed to be able to convert between character sets
	   cleanly in both directions.  A subset of ASCII that
	   worked well with these character sets was choosen.
	   Underscore is a character that is known *not* to convert
	   well.

	2. Some characters are just bad to have as there can be
	   confusion about whether they are there on not in certain
	   contexts.  Underscore is one of these.  Try printing
	   out a line underlined which contains underscores.  This
	   is also why tabs and spaces are considered the same in
	   may contexts.

	SRV records deliberately choose a name syntax that would
	not clash with hostnames and hence with delegations.  The
	issues above should not be a problem with SRV records as
	lookup routines should be taking the name without the first
	two labels, service and transport and constructing the
	query.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org