Multiple Domain Names/ One IP Address

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Oct 11 18:16:10 UTC 1999

Barry Margolin writes:
>Yes.  Just create different A records that all have the same IP address, or
>use CNAME records if possible.  Pick one of the A records and use it in the
>corresponding PTR record (multiple PTR records are legal, but I generally
>don't recommend them).

	This brings up a point which I am not clear about.  Exactly
what happens when there are multiple PTR records?  We have several
redundant A records at our site and I usually remove all but one of
the corresponding PTR records.  Does the reverse lookup just get all
of them the way it can for MX records that point to a score of mail
servers?

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group