I'm so confused!!

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Oct 11 18:59:17 UTC 1999

In article <3801F05D.32769411 at acp.org>,
David Spigelman  <dspigelm at acp.org> wrote:
>1. I don't have a default TTL set for my domains. I'll try to find out more about
>that. Is there any advice you could give me in that regard?

Look up the message in www.deja.com.  We answer about the "No default TTL
set" message at least once a week.  The simple answer is to add "$TTL
<defaultTTL>" to the beginning of all your zone files.

>2. Many of my hostnames have underscores ( _ ) in them. Apparently this
>is illegal
>in BIND 8, though it worked fine in BIND 4. Why was this changed? Is it really

These names have always been invalid for hostnames; see RFC 952.

Checking for this was added in 4.9.3, and the default settings were changed
in 4.9.5.

>necessary for me to change the hostnames (there are a lot of them), or
>can this be
>changed? Assuming I can fix this problem without changing the hostnames,
>is there a
>reason changing the hostnames instead might be a better choice?

See the "check-names" option.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com