BIND 8.2.1 won't install where configured to

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Oct 12 16:06:56 UTC 1999

> I'm trying to compile BIND 8.2.1 to be installed in a temporary area
> first (to test out before I shutdown other stuff).  But it won't go
> to where I tell it.  Is there something I'm missing?  Yes, /usr is
> mounted read-only.  The platform is Redhat Linux 6.0.
>
> I did these (in a script):
>
> setenv DESTDIR /tmp/bind-installed
> mkdir $DESTDIR
> make DST=/tmp/bind-installed SRC=`pwd` links
> make clean
> make depend
> make
> make install
>
> Yet the install still tries to install in /usr:

Yes, there are a couple of things you're missing.

In .../src/port/linux/Makefile.set, add the line

'DESTDIR=/tmp/bind-installed'

BEFORE you do any of the above:
	make links
	make clean
	make depend
	make
	make install

The instructions say that you can also do the following, of which you
only did the FIRST half.  I have not tried this, for various reasons:

		make DST=/tmp/bind-installed SRC=`pwd` links
		cd /tmp/bind-installed

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B