few questions

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Oct 12 17:53:38 UTC 1999

In article <38025DD7.8A5383A1 at tnss.com>,
Arno A. Karner <karner at tnss.com> wrote:
>1) if u want ur domain name to return an ip address how is that
>accomplished
>   a) by the site that delagaes ur domain to you

No.

>   b) by the dns server serving your domain

Yes.

>      what i want is for it to default to my mail server but when i do
>nslookup              tnss.com i get invalid host domain, and nslookup
>mail.tnss.com works as expected

Create an entry:

tnss.com.  A  216.160.28.65

>2) when you have multiple ether net interfaces and are doing multiple
>domains
>    a) do you put local host in all your domains, just internal, just
>external

It's a good idea to put it in all domains, although it only needs to be in
the first domain that's in everyone's resolv.conf search list.

>    b) does this change when i change from running 2 named deamones to 1
>or visa versa

No.

>this is my first post from netscape please excuse the html headers if i
>didnt turn all that default crap off

No, there's no HTML.  However, it's really annoying when people abbreviate
"you" as "u".  This isn't a chatroom, and typing speed isn't so important
that you have to save every possible character.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com