DNS error message

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Tue Oct 12 18:33:24 UTC 1999

    Jamie> I get the following error message in my messages file:

    Jamie> Oct 12 09:44:22 ns2 named-xfer[16696]: [149.142.194.60] not authoritative for 173.142.149.in-addr.arpa, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 1, aucount 3

    Jamie> I am running BIND 8.1.2 on my master and 2 secondary servers.  The unusual
    Jamie> thing is that I get this error message on only one of my two secondary
    Jamie> servers during the zone transfer.  I have checked the named.conf file on the
    Jamie> master and there is no record for that address.

It's not clear what you mean here. Do you mean resource record (=> a
zone file of some sort, not named.conf) or there's no entry for
149.142.194.60 in named.conf?

The error message means that on ns2 named-xfer tried to do a zone
transfer of the 173.142.149.in-addr.arpa zone from IP address
149.142.194.60 but the name server at that address wasn't
authoritative for that zone. So it looks as if either you have a
faulty zone statement for 173.142.149.in-addr.arpa on ns2 (or you
changed its named.conf and forgot to reload/restart the name server
there) or something else on ns2 made named-xfer attempt a transfer of
the 173.142.149.in-addr.arpa zone from this IP address. You didn't
tell us the name of your master server or if 149.142.194.60 is one of
your master or slave servers, so it's hard to give further advice.

Oh, a more precise Subject: header would have helped too. Most of the
postings to this DL?/newsgroup concern some DNS error message or
another.