alternate port / alternate way for master DNS zone xfers ?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Oct 14 17:40:24 UTC 1999

>    I do not have access to the firewall or anywhere where I could
> configure anything. All I was given is a generic IP on a relatively big
> network, and was told that "BTW, DNS TCP connections are blocked". End of
> story. I have to deal with it. I don't know whether BIND8 allows me to
> deal with it.
>
>    thx,
>
>        Jan
>
> PS: where is this list archived ? I guess I've subscribed to the list
> after Barry's answer (I've never seen it), but before you answer. So all I
> got is your answer.

NEVER post to both the mailing list and the newsgroup.  The two are
copied to each other.  Now I will get three copies of this.  (Pout,
pout.  ;-})

The mailing list is archived at

What is blocking DNS TCP?  Is it a firewall?  Is there a DNS proxy?  At
some level, this must be negotiable.

BIND 8 tends to do "the right thing."  Without TCP, everything you do
must be UDP, though, which limits certain things you can do.  Have you
yet noticed any problems, though?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B