About the wildcards.

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 14 19:13:54 UTC 1999

In article <4.1.19991011114618.01d432e0 at 209.132.1.30>,
Ariel Manzur  <punto at anime.com.ar> wrote:
>At 14:46 14/10/1999 +0000, Barry Margolin wrote:
>>In article <4.1.19991010200314.00b759c0 at 209.132.1.30>,
>>Ariel Manzur  <punto at anime.com.ar> wrote:
>>>Is there anything wrong with this, or it just impossible to do it? What I
>>>want is to map only domains that doesn't exist to localhost, and the rest
>>>to the real IP.. Is there any way to do this?
>>
>>In many cases, it should be sufficient to put a wildcard in your own
>>domain.  When an application looks up "xxx.nonexistentdomain.com", it will
>>first try using that as a fully-qualified name.  If this fails, it will
>>then try appending the host's default domain (or each of the domains in its
>>search list in turn), so it will try to look up
>>"xxx.nonexistentdomain.com.<yourdomain>".  This will match the wildcard in
>>your domain, and return the address you specified.
>
>What if I use "nslookup nonexistentdomain.com."? (or the resolver is not
>searching any domain?)

In that case, my suggestion wouldn't work.  As the other responder said,
there's no way to do precisely what you want, so I provided something that
should work for the common cases.  Most users don't even know that they can
use a trailing dot to force a name to be treated as fully-qualified, and
even those of us who do rarely use it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com