TTLs and Zone file not reload as authoritative

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 14 19:19:49 UTC 1999

In article <61A6F69F5613D111AEE100A024A3F42C011549B5 at nt4-exc.ibeef.org>,
 <MKempton at beef.org> wrote:
>I moved from Bind 4x to 8.2.1 and seem to missed something. DNS is up ok and
>named.conf looks right BUT I'm not authoritative for my home domain

syslog on the master server should have warnings about syntax errors in the
zone file, and the warnings should include the line numbers in the files
where the syntax errors occur.  Most likely, you have hostnames with
underscores in them.  The default for BINDs prior to 4.9.5 was to allow
these, but since then it has been rejecting them.  You can use the
"check-names" option to change this behavior, or fix your hostnames to
follow the standards (only letters, numbers, and hyphens).

>anymore?? (nslookup and slave DNS zone loads say error with zone) Also
>numerous msgs no TTLs using SOA default instead???
>
>Reading and looking.............

You didn't look very hard, since the question about default TTLs is
answered on a daily basis.  Insert:

$TTL <defaultTTL>

at the beginning of each of your zone files.  Search the deja.com archives
to find out why.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com