I'm so confused!!

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 14 19:30:21 UTC 1999

In article <3806090F.14F574E6 at acp.org>,
David Spigelman  <dspigelm at acp.org> wrote:
>Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> Whatever you want.  The TTL is how long it can take for a change to
>> propagate to the rest of the net, due to caching.  You have to compromise
>> between quick propagation and increased load on the authoritative servers.
>>
>> We use 1 day as our default TTL.
>>
>> Why don't you just use whatever you were using before, in the SOA record?
>> All that's changed in BIND 8.2 is where BIND looks for the default TTL, not
>> how you decide what to use as the TTL.
>
>Which entry in the SOA record was the TTL? There's the serial number,
>refresh rate,
>retry, expiry and minimum. I'm not sure which number I should use as the base.

The warning messages says "No default TTL set using SOA minimum instead".
It's telling you that it's reverting to the old behavior, for backward
compatibility.  Does that answer your question?

If not, try looking up "SOA records, TTLs in" in the index to the DNS&BIND
book.  The page that this points to tells you which field in the SOA record
defines the default TTL (all current editions of the book predate BIND 8.2,
so they don't mention the new behavior).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com