bind server dying

Steven Sakata steven at hawaii.edu
Thu Oct 14 21:09:17 UTC 1999

I was awaken by my boss this morning to discover that all three of our DNS
server processes were down.  Upon looking at the DNS log file, they all died
with the following error message:

14-Oct-1999 06:51:11.382 insist: critical: memcluster.c:307: INSIST(stats[size].gets != 0) failed.
14-Oct-1999 06:51:11.382 panic: critical: memcluster.c:307: INSIST(stats[size].gets != 0) failed.

Does anyone know what these messages mean, and what might have caused the
problem?  I find it suspicious because I've been running these servers for
several months now and they've never had any problems.  Than all of a sudden,
all three of them die within a two hour time span.  Could it possibly be a
security hole that killed the named process?

By the way, we are using bind 8.2

Thank you for any help, Steven