Can a BIND8 server be a secondary to a BIND 4.9 Server?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 14 21:13:11 UTC 1999

In article <s0ceigc7hu294 at corp.supernews.com>,
Ray Galuszka <galuszr at cankampen.com> wrote:
>I am upgrading from BIND 4.9 to Bind 8.1.2 and I have secondary statements
>in my named.boot that I converted to the new "slave" BIND8 syntax and copied
>to the new BIND 8 master.  It's not picking up the zone files from the
>servers for which it is a "slave" or secondary.  Our company is a
>wholly-owned subsidiary and OUR master server also acts as a secondary to
>our corporate parent firm.
>
>Can a BIND8 server be a secondary/slave to a BIND 4.9 server?  Is there a
>configuration option in BIND 8 to tell it that it's master is a BIND 4.9
>server?

There shouldn't be a problem with a BIND 8 server as slave to BIND 4
masters.  Our slave servers are all running 8.1.2, but many of our
customers are running BIND 4 (I'll bet at least 75% of our
customer-operated master servers are running BIND 4) and we haven't noticed
any compatibility problems.

What errors is your slave getting?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com