multihomed DNS

philbird at my-deja.com philbird at my-deja.com
Fri Oct 15 17:09:55 UTC 1999

In article <56qN3.876$854.35678 at burlma1-snr2>,
  Barry Margolin <barmar at bbnplanet.com> wrote:
> In article <7u4vgm$qib$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <philbird at my-deja.com>
wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I'm having a problem figuring out how to make hosts on a multihomed
> >DNS not require a fully qualified domain to refrence hosts in
> >the same zone.
> >
> >I'm setting up a multihomed DNS server. It has 3 NICs on a subnet'd
> >network (192.168.100/26).
> >I'm trying to have a couple of multihomed servers respond to
> >the same hostname i.e. fileserver etc.
> >I've setup 3 zone files, one for each subnet,
> >sub1.mydomain.com
> >sub2.mydomain.com
> >sub3.mydomain.com
> >
> >The plan was for each zone to have records such as
> >
> >sub1:
> >192.168.100.4   IN  A  fileserver
> >
> >sub2:
> >192.168.100.68   IN  A  fileserver
> >
> >sub3:
> >192.168.100.130  IN A fileserver
>
> These are backwards.  The format of an A record is:
>
> <hostname>  IN A  <address>

OOPS!  just a typo.

> >so that users would only have to NFS or telnet to 'fileserver'
> >reguardless of which subnet they are on, and still go to the local
> >NIC.
> >
> >However what I'm finding is that any domain other than the one the
DNS
> >server belongs to, requires a fully qualified name, which then
defeats
> >the idea of ussing a generic hostname that works everywhere.
>
> The default domain is specified in the client configuration, and isn't
> dependent on the DNS server.  Machines on subnet 1 should have in
their
> /etc/resolv.conf file:
>
> search sub1.mydomain.com mydomain.com
>
> Machines on subnet 2 should have:
>
> search sub2.mydomain.com mydomain.com

That's what I tought but it doesn't seem to work. The clients are
W95/W98 and DHCP does anyone know of a problem in domain
search order in such an environment.

( the DNS is AIX4.3 using Bind 8 )

Thanks.

> and so on.  If they then do "telnet hostname" it will first look for
> hostname.<theirsubnet>.mydomain.com, and if this doesn't exist it will
look
> for a non-subnet-specific hostname.mydomain.com.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com
> GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to
the group.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.