Root server and the DNS

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Oct 18 17:33:45 UTC 1999

> Could someone please tell me whether the root server holds information
> about ALL top level domains? Or does it have information about the
> machines that have been authorised to resolve the various top level
> domains? Or neither... Thanks.

Strictly speaking, all of the root servers have pointers to the
machines that resolve the top-level domains.

Many of the machines that resolve the generic [three-letter] top-level
domains are also among the root servers.  In other words, of the root
servers, many point to themselves [and others] because they also serve
some or all of the generic top-level domains.

The geographical top-level domains, I suppose, all have their own
servers.  I have never had the time to look and see.  ;-)

See Albitz & Liu, pp. 18-19, for more on TLDs and an amusing footnote.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B