nslookup: can't find server name for ... <again, sorry>

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Oct 19 08:35:15 UTC 1999

> Hi All,
>
> I am having this irritating error message when trying to do a nslookup "canno
> t find server name for address 192.168.1.5. Server failed. Default servers ar
> e not available."

	You are using a modern nslookup?  Old nslookups used inverse
	queries.  These have bad properties and no longer supported.

> I have gone through the FAQ posted here and everything seems ok. Also I have
> noticed that if I stop NDC and issue ps -aux there is still a named running -
>  but issuing kill does not kill it. ?
>
> Here is the files I have on the test machine:
>
> named.conf
> options {
>         directory "/var/named";
>         };
>
> zone "idws.com" {
>         type master;
>         file "idws.com";
>         };
>
> zone    "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "named.local";
>         };
>
> zone    "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "192.168.1.5";
>         };

	You have no root zone.

> idws.com:
> @       IN      SOA     zeus.idws.com.  hostmaster.zeus.idws.com.  (
>                                         99101901        ;
>                                         10800           ;
>                                         3600            ;
>                                         3600000         ;
>                                         86400  )        ;
>                 IN      NS      zeus.idws.com.
>                 IN      A       192.168.1.5
>                 IN      MX  10  zeus.idws.com.
>
> zeus            IN      A       192.168.1.5
> www             IN      A       zeus.idws.com.
> localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
>
> named.local:
> @       IN      SOA     localhost.root.localhost.  (
>                                 1999101901  ;
>                                 28800       ;
>                                 14400       ;
>                                 3600000     ;
>                                 86400  )    ;
>         IN      NS      zeus.idws.com.
> 1       IN      PTR     localhost.
>
> 192.168.1.5:

	There should be a space before the '('.

> @       IN      SOA     zeus.idws.com.  hostmaster.zeus.idws.com.(
>                                         99101901    ;
>                                         10800       ;
>                                         3600        ;
>                                         3600000     ;
>                                         86400  )    ;
> @               IN      NS      zeus.idws.com.
> 5               IN      PTR     zeus.idws.com.

	The following record is not needed.

> 5.1.168.192     IN      PTR     zeus.idws.com.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> domain zeus.idws.com
> nameserver 192.168.1.5
>
> Any help will be appreciated as I am relatively new to this - and going throu
> gh it myself over and over again might be why I don't find the problem ... ?

	When looking for problems, check the syslog.  It is also useful to
	report the version of software you have a problem with as there are
	often "well known" problems with particular versions.

> Thanking you in advance,
> Tony

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org