if my ISP won't "let go" of the DNS for my IP then can I not put it inmy DNS?

Harold Pritchett harold at uga.edu
Tue Oct 19 17:40:33 UTC 1999

pls at post.here.adam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry if the title is too obfuscated. I have a DSL line connected to
> my home network w/ firewall.  Surfing, etc is fine.  However we'd also
> like to host a website (or sites via apache's virtual domains).  While
> I could access our site using the IP #, some of the people sharing the
> costs wouldn't want them or their friends to have to do that.  Like
> everyone else, we want a name on 'da net.
>
> Unfortunately when I spoke to our ISP/DSL provider (PacBell) they said
> that for single IP dsl customers such as ourselves we cannot register
> a domain and use our IP because PacBell "doesn't release or let go of
> their DNS record for that IP".

Why not just register all of the other domain names using "cname" records
which point back to the PacBell name.  That way, you can have as many
names registered as you wish, and not have to deal with the folks at
PacBell.  You can even host different web homepages for each name
using virtual hosting.  The reverse lookup will always work properly
since the only "Cannonical" name for your host is the one PacBell
has given it.

Anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

Harold