Need input on message : Err/TO and other issues

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Oct 20 04:20:30 UTC 1999

> Greetings,
>
> bind 8.1.2
>
> Five lines messages below are for a zone-transfer.
> nffbi.unm.edu happen to be primary in this case.
> Those lines are from logs of the secondary (slave).

	Well it always helps to get the full lines.

> Question1:
>     With all those descriptive error messages I wonder why
>     the transfer finally did go thru?

	They changed something.  They realised there was an error in
	the zone file and corrected it.

> Question2:
>     Am I correct to translate "authoritative" in 2nd line
>     to mean that named.conf of nffbi.unm.edu has some
>     kind of directive (allow-transfer) preventing the
>     transfer? But that can't be as they claim nothing
>     has changed on their side!

	I means that when the SOA query was made it came back without
	the authoritive answer (aa) bit set.  Normally this is the result
	of a syntax error in the master zone file.  Answers from
	the cache also have the aa bit clear.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org