Need input on message : Err/TO and other issues

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Oct 20 20:06:38 UTC 1999

> On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:20:34 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov>
> > To: Farid Hamjavar <hamjavar at unm.edu>
> > Cc: bind-users at isc.org
> > Subject: Re: Need input on message : Err/TO and other issues
> >
> > You did notice that (a) you originally had a host named
> > "bff<Control-H><Control-H>" before somebody fixed that [illegal] name,
> > and (b) your terminal is not wrapping lines, but sticking on the right
> > margin.  Didn't you?
>
> I posted that coming from dialup.
> terminal type setting must have been screwy.
> But I did not notice anything when I posted it nor
> did I see the things you said in people's responses.
>
> Farid

Mark Andrews also commented on this:
> host name "nff\008\008" IN (response from [192.203.230.10]) is invalid - proceey

This 80-character line had no wrap, so all of the final characters in
this message [which might have been "proceeding anyway"] are typed on
top of each other.  This unreadable part tells you why it proceeded,
anyway.  ;-)

In the same line, the name to which it refers have the first three
letters 'n', 'f', 'f', and the next two are '\008', which is control-H.
[Sorry, I must have mistyped "nff" as "bff".]  This is not a legal host
name.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B