DNS error message in messages log

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Thu Oct 21 17:58:10 UTC 1999

> I am getting alot of errors from Name server in my messages log, but I
> can't seem to find out what this error means, the errors I'm getting
> are:
> Oct 20 02:33:17 ud35 named[10073]: XX
> /205.188.197.131/www.naughtystudents.com/A

These aren't errors; they're query logging.  You or someone on the system
turned on the name server's query logging feature.  That entry means that
at 2:33 am, someone at 205.188.197.131 tried to look up the address of
www.naughtystudents.com.  Why, I have no idea.  :-)

To turn it off, you can use ndc (ndc querylog) or send the SIGWINCH
signal to the name server (kill -WINCH `cat /var/run/named.pid`).

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.