Root server DNS traffic across Linux/ipchains firewall?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 21 22:26:11 UTC 1999

In article <199910212208.SAA00692 at fw1-b.osis.gov>,
Joseph S D Yao  <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> wrote:
>I'm afraid that most V8++ BINDs will be addressing you FROM random
>ports [as many current network programs do] but always TO port 53.  You
>might be well advised not to block on source ports, but only on
>destination ports.

I think the only DNS traffic he's expecting TO his firewall is replies to
his queries, i.e. it's a caching-only server.  So they should all be FROM
port 53 and TO the port specified in the "query-source" option.  Except it
sounds like queries sent to the root servers are ignoring the query-source
port.

I'm finding this difficult to believe, unless it's a new bug.  Many sites
are successfully making use of "query-source * port 53" to emulate the
behavior of BIND 4 so that they'll be compatible with firewalls that were
configured with this in mind.  If root server queries weren't using port
53, all these sites would be dead in the water.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com