Forwarders and performance

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Oct 22 17:51:48 UTC 1999

> > Since the forwarders are receiving recursive queries,
> > they'll assume the burden of resolving the domain
> > names, whether or not the name is cached.
>
> So the bottom line is: "don't use forwarders if you don't need to!", am I
> right?
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel

Not at all.  I guess it depends on your definition of "need".
Obviously, those behind a firewall must "forward only" to their bastion
host proxy.  OTOH, if you have a large company with a lot of small
groups, even if all CAN directly query Internet DNS servers, it makes
sense to "forward first" to a central caching server which will cache
requests from the whole company.  It makes more sense if company-wide
queries tend to be clustered, and more sense still if the outgoing
lines are slow.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B