nslookup always said my host IP is 0.0.0.0

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Oct 22 20:48:30 UTC 1999

> Everytime I type nslookup, it displays my hostname but with IP 0.0.0.0.  I
> did remove the /etc/resolv.conf file as I am not using DNS.  I have changed
> the /etc/nsswitch.conf file to look at the " file" first, then "dns".  The
> /etc/HOSTNAME correctly have my hostname in it. ifconfig eth0 correctly
> stated my IP address.  My /etc/hosts file is correctly match the hostname
> and IP.  I can telnet from other host by using either IP or hostname.

Wasted 2 weeks.  Nslookup gets its server from /etc/resolv.conf.  It
first lists the DNS server that it is using.  If you have no nameserver
listed, or there is no such file - I haven't tested this, but I guess
it uses the "0.0.0.0" that you are seeing.  Which is translated to your
local host, anyway.

Nslookup tests DNS.  If you aren't using DNS, then why even bother with
it?  BUT, all hosts connected to the Internet for Internet services DO
use DNS, whether they serve it or not; and so will need that resolv.conf
file.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B