PTR records

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Oct 25 16:50:58 UTC 1999

> JUst one simple question.
>
> We have several domain names per ip address - does this meen that every
> domain name must be added to this ip address in the reverse lookup file?
eg:
> 34     IN    PTR    domain1.co.za
> 34    IN    PTR    domain2.com
>
> (if you know what I meen ...)
>
> Or must there just be one domain name linked to the reverse address?

You may add multiple PTR records per address, but most resolvers don't
deal with multiple PTR records well.  Better to choose which of the domain
names you'd like your address to reverse map to and add a PTR record
just for that.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.