DNS "stalls" on Solaris2.6/BIND8

Mark_Andrews at iengines.com Mark_Andrews at iengines.com
Wed Oct 27 02:43:52 UTC 1999

> Andrew Sinclair wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> >
> > I'm experiencing an intermittent fault on a new name server I'm setting
> > up under Solaris.
>

> (snip)
>
> Many Thanks to those esp Mark Andrews from ISC and the Sun team for
> their answers. The real problem (in addition to the one Mark spotted)
> appears to be a problem between BIND 8x and the Sun nscd.
>
> If you have /etc/nsswitch.conf set to "hosts:	file dns" it should use
> /etc/hosts first then fall back onto the DNS server as specified in
> /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Name Services Cache Daemon (nscd(1M)) interposes itself and does name
> services lookups (and caches them).
>
> Sun (thanks William P. Malloy!) says ->
>
> >  People who
> > want to prevent this uncomment the line "enable-cache hosts no"
> > in the /etc/nscd.conf file to turn off hosts caching if they are
> > using DNS for all their hosts lookups.
>
> But to be on the safe side I have disabled the Daemon altogether and
> gone to just "hosts:	dns" in /etc/nsswitch.conf and presto, problem
> gone.
>
> This did not appear to be a problem for BIND4 x
>
> Thanks again for the assistance :)

	You will have boot problems if you don't have files there.

	Use "hosts: dns [NOTFOUND=return] files".  This is equivalent
	"hosts: dns" except at boot time when the dns server is not
	available yet.  Check the exact syntax, this is from memory.

	Mark

> Andrew Sinclair                 Ph  (07) 4033 2311
> Technical Director              Fax (07) 4033 6022
> Internet North                  email: andrew at internetnorth.com.au
> A division of EISA Limited      www.internetnorth.com.au
> ISP for Cairns and North Qld    PO Box 12272D Cairns Qld 4870

Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at iengines.com