Dial on demand and dns

Erik Andersen esa at i-data.com
Wed Oct 27 08:26:22 UTC 1999

Hi,
My network is connected to the internet through a Linux box that runs a
BIND nameserver,
version 8.1.2.
I have an ISDN dial on demand connection to my ISP.  The connection uses
PAP.

A few days ago I discovered a problem with this setup:

If the nameserver needs to contact e.g. a root name server to answer a
query and the authentication
fails, the following problem arises:
My nameserver attempts to contact the first root nameserver. This fails
because the authentication fails, so my nameserver tries the next
rootnameserver and so on. After a while (5s, 10s, 20s, 40s) the resolver
will ask the nameserver again and the scenario is repeated. Many querys
to the nameserver will cause a constant dial up to my ISP which can be
very expensive.

The name server will not detect my ISDN adapter as non working since it
is actually working.
How can this problem be solved?
I suspect this is really an operating system issue, but I imagine that
this problem might be of interest to some of you people reading this
list as well.

Thanks
Erik Andersen