DNS Update && Slave Servers

Ian G Batten I.G.Batten at batten.eu.org
Wed Oct 27 17:29:19 UTC 1999

Currently, I maintain my DNS on a machine behind my firewall that is not
listed as an NS for the zones it services.  The NS records for the
zones point to machines in front of the firewall.  They are kept in step
by using DNS notification.  They are therefore slave servers.

I would now like to dynamically update some of those zones, for use with
DHCP.

The problem is that ``nsupdate'' from the bind distribution steps
through the NS records, and updates them in sequence.  Firstly, some of
the servers are off-site ones I don't control and wouldn't accept update
from me.  Secondly, I'm not sure what the semantic of a slave server
with updates enabled is.

I was hoping that the bind code (8.2.2) would allow me to send updates
to a specified machine (presumably the master), increment the serial
number and notify the other machines (slaves).  What appears to happen
is that as soon as nsupdate encounters a server that says no, it stops,
and anyway it uses the NS records to choose which servers to update.

Does this mean that to use dynamic update I need to be able to update
all the servers listed in the NS records?  And how can I update servers
that are _not_ in the NS records?

ian
--
PGP: http://www.batten.eu.org/~igb/pgpsignatures/19991027/182913.13168.asc