I need to modify 600 zones, 4 servers other resources with new class C info - advice needed

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 28 16:20:28 UTC 1999

In article <4.2.0.58.19991028114527.00bed6a0 at post.acadia.net>,
pancho  <pancho at acadia.net> wrote:
>We are changing the way our network connects to the internet, and I need to
>change a LOT of IPs. (they don't want to buy the class C's)
>Our name servers, web servers and early websites are hosted at those
>addresses. I understand that I need to get the boxes operating on the new
>and old IPs at the same time, and make our present DNS servers #3 and 4 at
>and register the new IPs for the name server as NS #1 & #2.
>I'm looking for advice in two forms - a plan of attack and how, (in a Unix
>operating environment) do I change a lot of zone files?
>1) Some concerns- it it possible to redirect request for resources that
>were on an old IP to a new IP via DNS? (I know how to do this in
>httpd.conf, I think)

No.  DNS just does name-to-address translation, it has nothing to do with
communication by IP addresses.

>2) How do I change 600+ TTL  fields in the zone records to an hour without
>all at once? (please don't laugh, I am new to this). I just finished

Without *what* all at once?  You can probably do a mass change of TTLs
using a simple sed, awk, or perl command.

>reviewing and corecting all the files just using "vi". Also, do I need to
>change any other field?

I don't think so.  You could also lower the Refresh time, but if you have
the same slave server for all the zones it would probably be simpler just
to do "ndc reload" on the slave after you reload the master, and it will
update all the zones right away.

>3) is there something I can set up in the reverse DNS so that requests for
>resources at the old IP will be redirected to the new one?

No.  Maybe you could do something with NAT at your Internet connection.

>4) Is there something I can do for our domains that are name-based hosts so
>that the transition will be smoother?

I don't understand this question.  Named-based virtual servers shouldn't
care about the address change.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com