Conflict among subdomains?

Robert J. O'Hara rjohara at uncg.edu
Thu Oct 28 05:08:14 UTC 1999

I'm a totally non-techno end user who is trying to find out some
information that my campus techno people don't seem to know.  I'm trying
to find out if what I want is possible, and if so, what I need to tell
them so they will know how to do it.

I run a small webserver on a PowerMac (strong.uncg.edu).  "strong" is
our organization, and for clarity and group identity among our members I
want have the other machines in the organization given names like, say,
mercury.strong.uncg.edu, venus.strong.uncg.edu, earth.strong.uncg.edu,
etc.  But these other machines are not subordinate on the physical
network to strong.uncg.edu; they are just other machines on the campus
uncg.edu network.  (I don't know the technical language here, so what
I'm saying may make no sense.)

What I'm wondering is if you name a machine, say, earth.strong.uncg.edu,
does it actually have to bear some network relation to strong.uncg.edu,
or can it just be another machine in the uncg.edu domain?  If a new
machine is named earth.strong.uncg.edu will that mess something up such
that the webserver strong.uncg.edu will break?  That's what I asked our
campus people, and they didn't know and didn't really want to
experiment.  If anyone can tell me for certain that it will or won't
work, then I will try to pursue the matter again.  It really would be a
valuable group identity thing within our organization for everyone to
have a *.strong.uncg.edu domain.

Many thanks from an ignorant member of the user public.

Bob O'Hara
rjohara at uncg.edu