Sizing and Slave Servers in BIND 8

Mark_Andrews at iengines.com Mark_Andrews at iengines.com
Thu Oct 28 21:19:46 UTC 1999

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to do some benchmarking with DNS (BIND 8.1.2 and 8.2.X) Is
> there a hard coded limit or practical limit to the number of slave
> servers hanging off one master? In other words how many is too many? Or
> would it be a function of the number of RRs served by the master and the
> refresh interval/notify feature. If anyone has done this before or has
> any experience with this I'd appreciate some feedback.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Whittle
> Nortel Networks

	There is a practical limit in that you don't want to be
	forcing your DNS clients to have to go to TCP to get an
	untruncated answer to simple questions.

	The only other limit is MAXNS which is used to size some
	arrays internally.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at iengines.com