Subdomain delegation

Mark Miller mmiller at unix.sprint.net
Thu Oct 28 21:34:29 UTC 1999

Hello,

We have a customer running a BIND v 4.9.3 nameserver.  They would like
delegate a domain to us.  I have followed the examples in DNS & BIND v3 to
delegate subdomains.

I have created the subdomain zone in named.boot.  I then created the zone
file for the subdomain with NS and A records for the name servers.  I also
created the NS and A records for the subdomain in the zone file for the
parent domain.  I have also set SOA in the subdomain zone file to our
nameserver which is being delegated the domain.

I do a dig to check things out, but dig does not return the A records for
our nameservers.  The NS records are returned, but not the A records.  Our
nameservers are under a completely different namespace than what our
customer is.  Does this make a difference?

Consequently, I cannot do nslookups on the subdomain.

Our end is setup.  I can correctly resolve the domain from our nameservers,
but I cannot resolve the subdomain on the nameservers delegating the domain
to us.

TIA

-Mark