Subdomain delegation

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 28 23:06:28 UTC 1999

In article <OJECKBDEOCOEIFBELOKHCEPICBAA.mmiller at unix.sprint.net>,
Mark Miller <mmiller at unix.sprint.net> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We have a customer running a BIND v 4.9.3 nameserver.  They would like
>delegate a domain to us.  I have followed the examples in DNS & BIND v3 to
>delegate subdomains.
>
>I have created the subdomain zone in named.boot.  I then created the zone
>file for the subdomain with NS and A records for the name servers.  I also
>created the NS and A records for the subdomain in the zone file for the
>parent domain.  I have also set SOA in the subdomain zone file to our
>nameserver which is being delegated the domain.
>
>I do a dig to check things out, but dig does not return the A records for
>our nameservers.  The NS records are returned, but not the A records.  Our
>nameservers are under a completely different namespace than what our
>customer is.  Does this make a difference?

You only need to put the A records in the parent zone file if the subdomain
nameservers have names in the subdomain.  This is necessary to solve the
problem of needing to query the subdomain server to find out the address
of the subdomain server, which would be an infinite regress.

If the nameservers are in a different domain, their A records should be in
the server for that other domain.  When the NS records are returned, the
queryer will then do a separate lookup to get those A records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com