Forwarding and delegation

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 28 23:09:40 UTC 1999

In article <3818C345.A36D0351 at ms.com>, Sam Shteingart  <samsh at ms.com> wrote:
>I want to use forwarding on my name server, plus delegation (via NS
>records) for some of the subdomains.  I know that this didn't work in
>BIND 4.X.
>
>I now installed BIND 8.2.1 and tried to set this up, but it still
>doesn't work.  I defined zones that I want to delegate to as forward
>zones:
>
>zone "subdomain" {
>    type forward;
>}
>
>but this didn't do the trick.  I also could not find an answer on
>several FAQ lists.  Is there a way to implement this?

zone "subdomain" {
    type forward;
    forwarders { };
}

The empty forwarders list in the zone overrides the general forwarders
list, and causes this zone *not* to use any forwarders, which means that it
reverts to the normal behavior of using NS records.

Yes, it's kind of backwards.  Suggestion to BIND developers: how about
creating "type no-forward", which implements this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com