DNS setup for known external hosts ?

Marc Redmile-Gordon marc at carsplus.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 09:02:53 UTC 1999

Thanks Barry,

Please see questions indented - I definitely need some enlightenment, but
I'm not as dumb as I may seem   ;-)

kind regards,
Marc.

Barry Margolin wrote in message ...
>In article <7v4m2b$682$1 at soap.pipex.net>,
>Marc Redmile-Gordon <marc at carsplus.co.uk> wrote:
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I am setting up DNS on SCO 505 unix.  I have all the local hosts entered
in
>>/etc/named.hosts  & reverse DNS entries for all my local machines in
>>named.rev.
>>
>>When adding DNS entries for known external "dial-out" hosts ( routed via
the
>>AC congo gateway ) , what do I do ?
>>The hosts have ip addresses but no domain.  Do I just leave the domain bit
>>blank in named.rev ? - or do I just make no entries in this file ? - I am
>>having intermittent problems telnetting to some of these hosts and I
beleive
>>this is the source of them.
>
>There's no such thing as a hostname that has no domain.  If a name has no
>suffix, the domain is the root domain.

what is the root domain ?

But since you're not a root server,
>you shouldn't try creating names in the root domain.

what defines whether or not I should be a root server ?

P.S.
We are on a leased line to the internet with a bunch of public addresses -
not enough spare to give some to our remote sites.