Deny??

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 1 14:09:00 UTC 1999

In article <37CC8932.7C615AB2 at cisco.com>,
Michael Voight  <mvoight at cisco.com> wrote:
>Simply block inbound access to tcp and udp port 53 on your router.

That would prevent use of his nameserver for the domains he *does*
administer on it -- cutting off his nose to spite his face.

>Derrick Stinson wrote:
>>
>> How do you deny unauthroized use of your nameserver ??? Ie: someone out
>> side my domain or class c has setup a www.whatever.com that is pointing
>> to my nameservers???

There's not much you can do to prevent someone from delegating a domain to
your servers.  The most common response is to create the domain on your
server and put bogus data in it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com