subdomain problem

hoyoung at us.ibm.com hoyoung at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 1 18:49:45 UTC 1999

Please, people... if you want to help, great!  Otherwise, don't bother
insult/abuse us who ask questions.  Remember, everyone was once "stupid".  I
don't believe you are the exception of the rules.

Btw, I work on fireware and know and done what you suggested.  But rules are
rules, they aren't made by me and wont' be broken by me, either.

Thanks and appreciate all your help!
H. D

> Could anyone tell me what I'm missing here?

Incomplete zone information
---the crucial and necessary zone info is there

No named.boot or named.conf info
---very basic...not sure even need to look into this.  Possitive they are
correct of no error.

No log messages
No query results from nslookup or dig
---As i said, nslookup result is no ip(x.x.x.x) found and server failed.

No idea if the internic knows who you are
---we are absolutely known by the internic....They aren't the only servers and
domains I manage...I think I know this much...

What actually have you told us except

It doesn't work
I delegated the reverse domain.

Why are you talking about the reverse domain if you don't care about it?

Plus, for security reasons, you don't want to give us the real names or
zones.  Take it from a professional.. If this is the security that you
are relying on, DON'T. Real security is done by blocking traffic and/or
authentication, not by hiding hostnames and addresses.

Michael