DNS primary and secondaries

Morgan Sarges blip at actioni.net
Wed Sep 1 20:24:58 UTC 1999

Hello all,

I thought Id put a summary out, for those following this thread, and for
archival purposes.

First off, thanks to :

Barry Margolin
Joesph S D Yao
Bill Larson
Michael Voight
Matt Larson
Christian Krackowizer

All with lots of help, hints, and good pointers.

The problem:

We have 2 name servers, running bind 8.2.1, on solaris 2.6 servers.
When we fired up named, we had name resolution for our clients ok.

However, when we shut down the first server (aka primary) no-one
could get names resolved.

Here are the relevant fixes, in order.

1)  The db.root (aka named.root) file that lists all the root zone servers
had some
      extraneous and harmful info at the top of the file... like an SOA, a
$ORIGIN.

2)  The named.conf file was showing the named.root file as type "master"
and it
      should have been type "hint".

3)  Also added, for saftey and such to /etc/host.conf the following line:

      nospoof on

Thanks again to everyone for their help, and I hope I can return the favor
sometime
to someone on this group.

Morgan