running w/ win2k as master and bind8 as slave (was win2k's dns)

Willard Dawson wdawson at sbs.siemens.com
Wed Sep 1 22:55:23 UTC 1999

"Cricket Liu" <cricket at acmebw.com> writes:

>Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> wrote in message
>news:<199909011523.LAA19028 at fw1-b.osis.gov>...
>> Welll ... I just glanced at the code, and I'm no longer even sure of
>> that.  On the other hand, you may be able to use DNSSEC to provide
>> authentication of transactions.  If w2k uses that ... which I would
>> suspect that it doesn't ...

>Windows 2000 can send TSIG-secured dynamic updates, but it uses GSS-TSIG,
>and BIND doesn't support GSS-TSIG.

This issue is a rather important one for us in our company.  Currently,
we do not implement dynamic updates, and our infrastructure is defined
on BIND.  With a useful deployment of W2K, the odds are we will use DDNS
in W2K DNS for the implementation, but we'd like to have a role for our
BIND nameservers in that future environment.

Hence, the question:  Assuming that W2K chooses not to implement DNSSEC
style secure DDNS, will BIND include support GSS-TSIG in any future
revision or version (of BIND)?
--
Willard Francis Otto Dawson      +1 770 814 5099 / +1 770 814 5202 FAX
Siemens Business Services, SCN   mailto:willard.dawson at sbs.siemens.com
4570 River Green Pkwy, Ste 140   http://www.sbs.siemens.com/
Duluth, GA  30096-2564           Standard disclaimer applies.