Bind 8.2.1 and multiple cnames

Eric Lewandowski lewandow at cs.odu.edu
Thu Sep 2 16:23:24 UTC 1999

I just recently moved from bind 8.1.X to bind 8.2.1 and now our multiple
cnames do not work.  What i mean by not working, is this:

lab    IN    CNAME    machine1.foo.com
lab    IN    CNAME    machine2.foo.com
lab    IN    CNAME    machine3.foo.com

This should allow people who telnet, rsh, etc to lab.foo.com to get a
different machine each time they shell to lab.  If i do nslookup lab, i get
the same machine each time, it doesnt scroll through the list anymore.

i have added the option multiple-cnames yes; to our named.conf.  Note, that
this is the same named.conf that worked for 8.1.X.  I have watched syslog
for any errors when starting named, and no errors at all came up.  Any help
would be great.

TIA

Eric Lewandowski                  System Administrator
lewandow at cs.odu.edu            Old Dominion University
http://www.cs.odu.edu/~lewandow Computer Science Dept.