DNS stopped working

Jason Rotunno rotunnoj at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Sep 3 00:16:14 UTC 1999

: Jay Nugent (jjn at home.nuge.com) wrote:

: :    Paid, or not paid, the key here is whether the root-servers (controlled
: : by NSI) actually resolve your domain and point to your authoratative
: : nameservers.

: :    Try this:

: :       dig @a.root-servers.net yourdomain.com

: :    If it comes back like this, then your're okay in the roots:

: : ;; QUESTIONS:
: : ;;      yourdomain.com, type = A, class = IN

: : ;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
: : yourdomain.com.       172800  NS      NS1.YOURDOMAIN.COM.
: : yourdomain.com.       172800  NS      NS2.YOURDOMAIN.COM.

: : ;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
: : NS1.YOURDOMAIN.COM.      172800  A       209.69.xxx.yyy
: : NS2.YOURDOMAIN.COM.      172800  A       208.231.xxx.yyy

: Ok...For my working domain that's what comes up (at least something
: similar enough to indicate that it's the same thing).  For my troubled
: domain, though this is what I get:

: ; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> @a.root-servers.net MYDOMAIN.com
: ; (1 server found)
: ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
: ;; got answer:
: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 10
: ;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
: ;; QUERY SECTION:
: ;;	MYDOMAIN.com, type = A, class = IN

: ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
: COM.			1D IN SOA	A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. hostmaster.internic.NET. (
: 					1999090200	; serial
: 					30M		; refresh
: 					15M		; retry
: 					1W		; expiry
: 					1D )		; minimum

: ;; Total query time: 10 msec
: ;; FROM: drop to SERVER: a.root-servers.net  198.41.0.4
: ;; WHEN: Thu Sep  2 18:24:55 1999
: ;; MSG SIZE  sent: 32  rcvd: 109

: No nameservers listed, etc.  What steps do I need to take from here to
: resolve this?

: Jason

I'm following up to this post because I've found that another one of
my domains gives the same information as the message above (doesn't
list the nameservers, etc) when I use dig, but it still works fine.
In fact, I stopped named on my box and was not able to nslookup it on
another server, but when I restarted named I was able to nslookup it,
unlike the troubled domain that I've been posting about.