DNS and Bind Recrusion page 39 (3rd edition)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Sep 3 03:06:57 UTC 1999

In article <37CF2F0D.39A107C at hk.china.com>,
Edmund  <c990077 at hk.china.com> wrote:
>Since it's concerning recursion query, I've a question regarding local
>name server recursion query to a Root name server.  If a local name
>server got a timeout error when querying a Root name server, it will
>usually return the same error to its client.  Is there any way to avoid this
>error and will the local name server query another Root name server
>next time instead of the previous timeout Root name server ?

The server should try another root server.  The problem may be that by the
time the server does this and then performed the additional iterative
queries to the destination domain server, your resolver may have timed out
waiting for a response, so you'll get an error in your application.  The
typical symptom of this is that you try again to look up the name and it
works immediately.

This shouldn't happen much.  The local name server keeps track of server
response times, and queries the ones that have the best response.  If it
times out querying a root server, it should not become a candidate for a
while.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com