debug message

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Sep 3 14:15:36 UTC 1999

In article <s7cfe42a.031 at brisbane.qld.gov.au>,
David Elkin  <Ctdm1 at brisbane.qld.gov.au> wrote:
>Hi guys,
>I have an internal dns domain and sub domain. these are called bcc.its.
>(on thr server sysmast) and indpilly.bcc.its. (on the server indpilly)
>respectively. When I lookup the subdomain it timesout with this message
>
>*** sysmast.bcc.its can't find indpilly.indpilly.bcc.its : no response from
>the server
>
>But I do get a non authoritive reponse the otherway.
>There is a line in debug I would like to clarify with someone.
>
>sysquery: findns error (3) on  indpilly.indpilly.bcc.its?

In the bcc.its domain, after the line:

indpilly  IN NX  indpilly.indpilly

you need to add the glue record:

indpilly.indpilly IN A <address of indpilly server>

Either that, or you should configure sysmast as either a slave or stub
server for the indpilly.bcc.its subdomain.

For more information, look up "glue records" in the index of the DNS&BIND
book.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com